This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silently installing an msi with Group Policy

2 replies to this topic

mattdurrant

mattdurrant
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:19

I have created an msi file that I want to deploy to other users in our company with Group Policy. I want the installation to be silent, which I could normally achieve with command line switches. However, Group Policy doesn't let you specify a command line for the msi - so how do I make the installation silent?

Some googling suggest that the answer might be one of the following: answer files, msi transforms, scripted installs or repackaging. Is there an easy way to do this?

Many thanks,
Matt

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:33

Never tried this, you could try advertising the product through Active Directory. The actual installation will then be invoked from each system. Not sure if this will provide a silent or regular install with dialogs though, sorry.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:01

Administrators control this in the GPO. From memory: In the software installation, you can ask for its properties. The most important property is whether the package is published or assigned.

If you publish the package, you can state to show either a Basic UI or no UI - that's another property of the software installation.

If you assign the package, users won't see anything - installing happens whenever the GPO is applied, eg. during log on.