This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

UAC prompts with random msi name

13 replies to this topic

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:38

UAC prompts elevation with random msi name (with a name of the temporary copy that installer creates) - not whith source package name. Such behaviour seems to be incorrect. What I have to do to get original package (or product?) name in UAC?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:45

MSI caches the installer database in the C:\Windows\Installer location on each target system. The copy of the MSI put here has a random name and is stripped of all CAB files. It's intention is to secure uninstall of the product (and repair and modify that does not require access to the source files). In corporate environment you will also author a SOURCELIST property into the property table which point to a UNC path on the network where the original source files can be found.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 13:40

QUOTE (Glytzhkof @ 2006-10-10 12:45)
In corporate environment you will also author a SOURCELIST property into the property table which point to a UNC path on the network where the original source files can be found.

It is a solution for my problem - am I right?
Thank You for advise!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 13:46

Yes, that would be a solution if you install off a stable share. However, this must be compiled into the MSI so it is not a solution for live packages. You can however, change the source location written into the registry for each product.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 13:50

QUOTE (Glytzhkof @ 2006-10-10 12:45)
MSI caches the installer database in the C:\Windows\Installer location on each target system. The copy of the MSI put here has a random name and is stripped of all CAB files. It's intention is to secure uninstall of the product (and repair and modify that does not require access to the source files). In corporate environment you will also author a SOURCELIST property into the property table which point to a UNC path on the network where the original source files can be found.

I jumped to a conclusion. It isn't a solution - there is no problem at all?
But I think users will confused with random name in UAC?

Edited by igodunov, 10 October 2006 - 13:51.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 13:53

Sorry, maybe I completely missed your question. Can you define UAC?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 13:55

QUOTE (Glytzhkof @ 2006-10-10 13:46)
Yes, that would be a solution if you install off a stable share. However, this must be compiled into the MSI so it is not a solution for live packages. You can however, change the source location written into the registry for each product.

If I change the location and then remove source package - it affects (disable) repair and uninstall actions?

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 14:04

QUOTE (Glytzhkof @ 2006-10-10 13:53)
Sorry, maybe I completely missed your question. Can you define UAC?

I meant UAC Dialog Box that handles the elevation of application installation (in Vista). There is a package name in this dialog - and this name is a name of the cached package (or may be copy created by installer for a while?).

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 14:05

If the location stored during original install of the MSI as source is missing, and there is no SOURCELIST value to indicate an alternate location then repair might fail, but uninstall should still work (since it runs the cached copy of the MSI - there are special cases where files on the source media might be called via custom actions in the uninstall sequence and then even this cached MSI might fail to uninstall).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 14:26

Sorry, just saw that this is for Vista, doh! Sorry, didn't see that before. I have not tested MSI with Vista, but maybe Stefan can help.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 14:30

QUOTE (Glytzhkof @ 2006-10-10 14:26)
Sorry, just saw that this is for Vista, doh! Sorry, didn't see that before. I have not tested MSI with Vista, but maybe Stefan can help.

I acknowledged my guilt! huh.gif Sorry for misleading.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 19:01

I don't know the answer, but this may be a good question for the UAC chat with the Windows Installer team at Microsoft on Oct 18.

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:37

Thank You for advise, Stefan.

Edited by igodunov, 11 October 2006 - 06:41.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 13:04

See here: http://forum.install...showtopic=15574
Regards
-Stein Åsmul