This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

uninstall of patch doesn't revert back all the original files

Best Answer preang , 11 August 2014 - 07:57

Hi.. i got the solution to the above problem. There is custom action in my project which blocking the Feature to re install. As I mentioned in my problem statement 

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:50:054]: Feature: ALLDLLS; Installed: Local;   Request: Local;   Action: Local 

where request and action  should be Re install instead of Local. Because of this local my components is not getting re installed upon patch uninstall.  

and also according my problem statement the other component which getting reverted or re installed from the same feature that is because this component is shared with another feature which getting re installed.

Go to the full post

3 replies to this topic

preang

preang
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:14

Hi I have a patch for my product when I apply the patch it works fine all the new files or patched files gets updated. But as when I uninstall the patch using command line as : msiexec.exe /uninstall [patch id] /package [product id] /L*V "C:\newpackage.log" /qb

it removes the newly added files and also reverts back some patched files (dlls) but not all the patched dlls. So my question is why all the patched dlls are not reverted back to the original files upon patch uninstall [note: dlls are versioned]. as because I can see some patched dlls are still the latest version and size not the original version.

To debug further when I looked into the baseline cache from windows\ installer\&PatchCache& . There I don't find all the original  dlls those are patched . So I am bit confused how to investigate further 

after uninstall of patch verbose log doesn't say any error : SELMGR command also not found.. logs says e.g one of the files that not getting reverted back ..

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:47:298]: File = some.DLL: Final State = Overwrite

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:50:059]: Component: QBDIR_some.DLL; Installed: Local;   Request: Null;   Action: Null;   Client State: Local

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:51:201]: File = some.DLL: Final State = Overwrite

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:51:262]: The file represented by File table key 'some.DLL' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:51:262]: Chain for some.DLL starts with cached baseline file for 24.0.4004 (simulated sequence 0)

can anyone help me out here..

QBDIR_some.DLL is inside the feature ALLDLLS the log for this feature says

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:50:054]: Feature: ALLDLLS; Installed: Local;   Request: Local;   Action: Local which looks fine.

the other components which is inside the same above mentioned feature is getting reverted back. the log for the successful revert says as

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:50:059]: Component: QBDIR_utilities.DLL; Installed: Local;   Request: Local;   Action: Local;   Client State: Local 

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:51:201]: File = utilities.DLL: Final State = Overwrite 

So here the diff I can find request and action . So why my QBDIR_some.DLL says Action is null . any idea?? 

Note: Attribute for the both components is 0 from component table.

Edited by preang, 04 August 2014 - 12:42.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 14:17

Chain for some.DLL starts with cached baseline file for 24.0.4004

Is 24.0.4004 the original (unpatched) version or the new version?

preang

preang
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 15:28

24.0.4004 is original version. And in some m/c I find the original files are stored in C:Windows\Installer\$PatchCatche& but upon uninstall files are not getting reverted. as mentioned above in the log it says 

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:50:059]: Component: QBDIR_some.DLL; Installed: Local;   Request: Null;   Action: Null;   Client State: Local

is this means nothing is happening on uninstall of patch

preang

preang
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:57   Best Answer

Hi.. i got the solution to the above problem. There is custom action in my project which blocking the Feature to re install. As I mentioned in my problem statement 

MSI (s) (1C:EC) [17:14:50:054]: Feature: ALLDLLS; Installed: Local;   Request: Local;   Action: Local 

where request and action  should be Re install instead of Local. Because of this local my components is not getting re installed upon patch uninstall.  

and also according my problem statement the other component which getting reverted or re installed from the same feature that is because this component is shared with another feature which getting re installed.