This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade doesn't intall new distributables

Best Answer garyflet , 05 December 2016 - 21:53

I know that great numbers of you have been on pins and needles, wondering if there was a solution to my problems. Well I did find a solution that I will go with: I found out why my prerequisite wasn't working, why the install would report that the files couldn't be found. Turns out I need to change a completely different part of my install. Under the Releases view, left click on Release 1, and then the "Setup.exe" tab. I needed to change the "Install Prerequisites Location" from "Copy from Source Media" to "Extract from Setup.exe". After that, no more error messages, and the install installs the MFC redistributables whether it's an upgrade or not. What a relief!

Gary Go to the full post

3 replies to this topic

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 19:06

I've been able to use InstallShield 2011 to install the Visual C++ 14.0 MFC redistributables by checking the checkbox on the
redistributables page and linking to the redistributable files on the source computer. It works well when installing on a computer for the first time. However, old installs installed Visual C++ 10.0 MFC redistributables and when I use a newer install it knows it's an upgrade, but fails to install the newer redistributables. How do get the newer installs to install the redistributables when it is an upgrade? (Windows 7, 32-bit).

Thanks,
Gary

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:22

I notice that it works if I make the install with the new redistributables a "major upgrade". But that means that the new install will go through an uninstall of the old, which is quite involved, and then reinstall everything again. It seems like overkill and the user will have to reenter the password among other things. Is there a way to add the new redistributables without going through an uninstall?

Thanks,
Gary

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 23:29

I've decided to give up on trying to use the redistributables, why it won't work for an upgrade is a mystery, but I'm going back to trying a prerequisite as I was first advised in a previous thread. (Only two threads back.) My problem with using the prerequisite is that when the installer clicks on install, I get the error message:

"The files for installation requirement "MFC Redistributables" [the name of my prq file] could not be found. The installation will now stop. This is probably due to a failed, or canceled download".

On the other thread, Stefan asked me to check: "please double check - you specified the correct location for the vc_redist.x86.exe in the "Path to Local File" list? [Yes] Is it on the local hard disk (not a network drive, just to be sure it's not a network/permissions problem)? [Yes, the drive on the computer which is building the install.] Did you also select vc_redist.x86.exe on the "Application to Run" tab? [Yes].Do you get any build errors or warnings? [No.] Did you check the "admin privileges" box on the Behaviour tab? [Yes, checked by default]"

One thing I don't have is a URL location to find vc_redist.x86.exe in the prq file. Maybe you have to have one for it to work?

I don't care if there's a solution involving prerequisites or merge modules, I'd just like to be able to install the redistributables consistently!

Thanks,
Gary

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 21:53   Best Answer

I know that great numbers of you have been on pins and needles, wondering if there was a solution to my problems. Well I did find a solution that I will go with: I found out why my prerequisite wasn't working, why the install would report that the files couldn't be found. Turns out I need to change a completely different part of my install. Under the Releases view, left click on Release 1, and then the "Setup.exe" tab. I needed to change the "Install Prerequisites Location" from "Copy from Source Media" to "Extract from Setup.exe". After that, no more error messages, and the install installs the MFC redistributables whether it's an upgrade or not. What a relief!

Gary