This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

val001 error due to dynamic linking while building msp

Best Answer deramor , 29 October 2014 - 15:48

Have you authored the "Previous version" field in your release view?  With dynamic file linking, Installshield creates dynamic components and key files for the files that are included.  These tend to change with each build.  Providing a previous page will allow Installshield to keep these components, GUIDs, and key files the same.  This may help with what you are seeing.

As an aside, I've never found a good way to automate filling in this field.  If I build nightly, how can I always point to the last version I built?  I think this setting is supposed to be set manually when making patches and is not an activity that happens a lot.

Go to the full post

2 replies to this topic

ramyaraj

ramyaraj
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:35

Hi,

I've an installation file that contains 3 components – Only one of them is defined for dynamic file linking.
I am trying to create a patch but build is failing with the following error:

ISDEV : error Val0001: The file xyz.cat with a target of '[programfilesfolder]\my company\my product\xyz.cat' appears to have been removed from the setup, but does not appear in the RemoveFile table. This file will not be removed from the target machine when an upgrade is run unless the RemoveFile table has been authored.

I understand that this is due to removal of a this file from my dynamically linked folder.

I tried to add the entry for this file looking in to the FileKey, Component, FileName, DirProperty from my original msi file and adding an InstallMode=3. Despite of doing this i am still getting the same val0001 error.

NOTE: This in fact is happening in the patch that I am creating for a product that is already released in the market. I am not able to figure out a solution. :( 

I need help in finding what I am missing.Please advise me in resolving the issue.

Thanks,

Ramya

Regards,
Ramya Raj

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 15:48   Best Answer

Have you authored the "Previous version" field in your release view?  With dynamic file linking, Installshield creates dynamic components and key files for the files that are included.  These tend to change with each build.  Providing a previous page will allow Installshield to keep these components, GUIDs, and key files the same.  This may help with what you are seeing.

As an aside, I've never found a good way to automate filling in this field.  If I build nightly, how can I always point to the last version I built?  I think this setting is supposed to be set manually when making patches and is not an activity that happens a lot.

ramyaraj

ramyaraj
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 18:03

I did add author the "Previous package", but i realized that the path was incorrect. I have made the changes in my sample patch project and I can see that the val0001 has disappeared. 

I will try the same in my main product patch and see i have made the same mistake. Will update my result the moment i get the patch out :)

Thanks a lot deramor!

Regards,
Ramya Raj