This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Binary unchanged with Patchs

Best Answer julienpec , 02 September 2014 - 11:55

ty, i have read your post, that was interesting.

I've fixed my problem by writing : REINSTALLMODE=vamus , even if Stefan doesnt recommend it.

Go to the full post

4 replies to this topic

julienpec

julienpec
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 14:03

Hi,

I'm having problems i don't realy figure it out.

By this question, i would know if my practice of making patch with patch design is correct in your opinion.

My matter is the following : My patch launchs correctly (and the product takes the version of the patchs) but the binary that i would like to replace doesnt work. The old one is still present.

Between the two releases :

1. I've change product version

2. I've change the Package Code

3. I've replace the binary into the component view (in order to not lose the service config).

Here is the end of the patchcreationlog

[...]
INFO Comparing Files: D:\Documents and Settings\T0152777-A\Bureau\9.1.5\BCU\9.1.005\9.1.005\DiskImages\DISK1\Tetra\PalierActif\Exe\Fr\Bcu\FCPL_EXE.exe D:\Documents and Settings\T0152777-A\Bureau\9.1.5\BCU\9.1.005\9.1.006\DiskImages\DISK1\Tetra\PalierActif\Exe\Fr\Bcu\FCPL_EXE.exe...
INFO Different sizes...
INFO File Key: fcpl_exe.exe is modified
  PERF INFO: File Info Lookup Time:  0 ms
  PERF INFO: D:\Documents and Settings\T0152777-A\Bureau\9.1.5\BCU\9.1.005\9.1.005\DiskImages\DISK1\DIGIMAX BCU .msi 107 ms

FCPL_EXE is the binary that i want to modify. It seems by reading this log that it should work.

Concerning my patch config :

Command line : REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL

Anndddd it doesnt work, i still have the old FCPL_EXE.

Do you have tips to help me ? xD

Thank You

Julien

Edited by julienpec, 01 September 2014 - 14:18.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 18:14

Please read this thread: http://forum.install...?showtopic=8551

And never test a patch until the same behavior is working properly in a regular update not packaged as a patch.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

julienpec

julienpec
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:55   Best Answer

ty, i have read your post, that was interesting.

I've fixed my problem by writing : REINSTALLMODE=vamus , even if Stefan doesnt recommend it.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 23:52

You can not rely on this solution. If you include any merge modules or shared files this may downgrade files or trigger a write protection error that will halt your installer (newer versions of Windows). I have never had these problems, but only because I don't use this REINSTALLMODE at all.

I guess the problem might be related to the  fact that you have not incremented the file version on the exe file in question. The real fix is then to increment the version on this file and every other versioned file for every install. Alternatively you can try to set REINSTALLMODE to emus - replace same version and older version files.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

julienpec

julienpec
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:01

I'm SO STUPID ! damnit ...

You're totally righht Glytzhkof... in my company, files with (for example) 9.3.100 version are older than 2.5.005 (for example). And my patch modified files 9.3.100 to 2.5.005 that's why it didnt work.

I will switch with REINSTALLMODE= vamus or amus to omus forthe other cases (9.3.100 to 9.3.200 for example)...

Thank you so much glytzhkof.