This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Launching application after install

3 replies to this topic

danmoreira

danmoreira
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 20:04

I'm would like to know how can i launching the application that i'm installing ...

I would like that just after the user exits the setup program, both windows services and they manager application (they are both part of the setup program) starts automatically !!

Do i have to do a custom action and make a install class or there is a simple way to do that?

I will appreciate any help or link to an article!

Thanks a lot!

Dan Moreira
São Paulo - Brazil

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 13:58

You can start services using the ServiceControl table.
To launch your installed exe use a custom action type 18.

danmoreira

danmoreira
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 14:16

Hi Stefan, thanks for you answer !

I forgot to mention that i'm using Vidual Studio .Net Installer Project ! I saw a post (http://forum.install...showtopic=11499) about this issue and would like to know if it's still a valid tip to achieve that ? i'm saying that because i downloaded the msilaunch tool from Corner House Software and didn't work. I try with an application from VS template, with one form that do nothing, just to see if the problem it's with my application and still get no results !
Can i use this (type 18) custom action with VS .Net installer?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 14:42

Maybe the cornerhouse tool is not compatible with VS generated MSIs (although I don't know why it wouldn't). Type 18 custom actions is a MSI feature and will work in any properly authored msi file. However VS doesn't support this so you are forced to use external tools for this purpose. If everything else fails you can use Orca. Or switch from VS to a full featured msi authoring tool.