This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch for compressed image

4 replies to this topic

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 16:42

Hi all
I am using IS12
our customer wants our product installer to be in .msi compressed form and any subsequent changes in patches.

the problem is its not possible to patch an application when the target image is compressed. I know install shield will un-compress it when applying for patch but i want this to be done by commadline with automation scripts.

can have have two separate configurations one with compressed and other with un-compressed and would genarate a patch for un-compressed msi with maintaining the same package code when-ever new build is given??

or can some body tell me how to un-compress any msi package using any exe with compressed msi file as a parameter to that exe??

thanks in advance

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:19

You can run msiexec /a to create an admin install of the existing version, which wil extract the files. Use this as base for your patch.

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:48

thanks stefan

i am able to create patch with two confs with same packagecode for the same build. but chaning the package code when next build is give for both the configs. Its working fine. but this may not be the correct methods.

command with msiexec /a is working fine but it asks for the path to un-compress, which while working with the scripts difficult to provide unliess msiexec /a accepts path as a paramter to un-compress the msi file

regards
sarfu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 17:58

Two different MSI packages must always use different PackageCodes.
I replied to your second question in the other thread.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:16

The other thread is here: http://forum.install...showtopic=16525

Using the same package code for two or more MSI files can cause all kinds of mysterious problems up to and including total corruption of the MSI database on the developer systems where these MSI's might get installed.

Keep in mind:
Package code: identifies a unique file.
Product code: identifies a unique product version.
Upgrade code: identifies a family of products.

If two files have the same package code they are by definition the same file to MSI - even if they have totally different content.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul