This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Feature Remote Installation follows components?

6 replies to this topic

comecme

comecme
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:14

I noticed some strange behaviour in the Windows Installer. I have created a MSI (in DevStudio) that contains the following:

CODE
Feature1 - Favor Source
   SubFeature - Favor Parent
       Component3 - Optional
   Component1 - Optional
   Component2 - Favor Local

If I select a Complete installation in the Setup Interface, all components get installed locally, but when I select Custom, The Features show as Run from Network, and only Component2 gets installed locally.

If I set Component1 to Favor Local also, the SubFeature allways gets installed locally. In Custom setup, both Feature1 as SubFeature show as Run Locally.

So it seems like a Features Remote Installation state allways becomes local if all components of that feature are set to Favor Local.

Does this make any sense?

Edited by comecme, 17 June 2004 - 09:20.

Dick Nagtegaal

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 12:19

If you force all components to install local there's no point in showing the network option for the feature. Remember that for a component "Favor local" actually means "force local", regardless of the setting for the feature.
Read this artiicle for more information:
http://www.installsi...etupOptions.htm

comecme

comecme
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 14:36

There certainly is a point in showing the network option. I want the subfeature to be run from source, but the components of the main feature need to be installed locally (for instance if they need to be in the System32 folder).

Any thoughts on why a Complete install will allways install everying localy?
Dick Nagtegaal

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 15:41

Maybe I misunderstood what you want to do. Is your goal to force all components of the parent feature to local but allow the sub feature to run from source? If you want this you can't use FollowParent (or FavorParent as it is called in InstallShield). Use FavorLocal or FavorSource instead.

Do you have a AddLocal=ALL control event on the Next button of your setup type dialog, if the user selects Complete?

comecme

comecme
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 21:58

This is not in a MSI we created, but one we want to modify in order to make it run from source. We had a problem uninstalling the application, and setting those two components seemed to fix that problem. But as it turned out, changing those components to Favor Source made the whole application install locally. So I was wondering if there was a reason for that.

I still find it odd that the remote installation property of a feature is affected by the properties of its components. Off course it's logical that once the main feature changes to local the subfeatures follow that behaviour (as they are set to follow their parent).

BTW, the original problem of not being able to uninstall turned out to have a different cause, as posted here.
Dick Nagtegaal

saeed_a

saeed_a
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 23:56

I have a problem with favor source :
say I have a file a.exe which reads b.txt from same folder.
Now if I make two components

a : a.exe : favor source

b : b.txt : favor local

a.exe is installed at source and is able to read b.txt .

Now if I do like:-

a : a.exe : favor source

b : b.txt : favor source

then a.exe is unable to read b.txt , though both are installed at source.

any clarification???

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:17

saeed_a has started a new thread for his problem at:
http://forum.install...showtopic=10142